Saturday, September 25, 2010

The wrestling of Bahasa and English



A friend of mine tweeted me yesterday, she said she wanted to read my blog but since almost all my post written in English, she became dizzy. This, make me think, at the beginning of this blog i wrote my post in Bahasa then i decided to wrote it in English with some reasons:


1. My English isn't so good (as you can see), so i needed a place where i can practice my English. By writing in English, i can learn how to arrange words and re-read it sometimes to spot on some mistakes. It helps me a lot, because here in my country especially in my city, talking with others in English is still considered as an awkward gesture.

2. Writing my thoughts in English is easier. I don't know why but write it in Bahasa makes me shy, it feels too straightforward. Don't get me wrong, i didn't mean i am not proud of my own language but there's so many kind of "Bahasa tulis" here in indonesia. It confuses me, because i don't want to write in "bahasa alay", i don't like mixing Bahasa with English, and don't like a formal Bahasa type either.

3. By looking at my blog traffic, it looks like there are some people from other countries visited my blog. (Really thank you whoever you are.. :)) I want to make this blog more universal, so more people from all over the world would come here and read my thoughts.

Now after my friend mentioned it, i think i need to write more in Bahasa so my friends won't get confuse anymore when they visiting my page. Or i could just put a translator in my page.

Or what?

:/


PS: I still need time for posting the "graduation day" post. Uploading some photos with this modem really need a big effort and patience. *sigh

No comments:

Post a Comment